Lalaine Jimenea (The Philippine Star) – October 4, 2018 – 12:00am
ORMOC CITY, Philippines — Ormoc Mayor Richard Gomez is unfazed over the threat of National Housing Authority (NHA) employees to file oral defamation charges against him over his statement that substandard housing units were built for earthquake victims in Barangay Gaas in this city.
“It’s regrettable that the NHA would refer this issue to the judicial arena instead of choosing to address… it well within the function of their office… which affects the safety of the houses that they are building for our beneficiaries… If they plan to file defamation charges, I will face… them in the proper venue and answer their charges. All I ask is that while they do this, work on the project should not be delayed or derailed or in any way affected by the case,” Gomez said in a statement.
“I only want the best for my constituents… It is my duty to protect their interest,” he said.
Gomez said he invited NHA manager Marcelino Escalada to come here to see for himself the quality of hollow blocks used and settle the issue.
On Escalada’s challenge to the city government to cancel the permit it issued for the housing project, Gomez said he only wanted the NHA to ensure no substandard material will be used.
He said the city government has a big stake in the project, noting that it purchased the lot to build bigger houses for quake victims.
A word war between Gomez and the NHA erupted after videos showing the mayor inspecting housing units and expressing his frustration when he found out that substandard materials were used were posted on social media.
Gomez had earlier ordered an investigation after he was shown a video of brown hollow blocks at the site, which reportedly crumbled when picked up.
He said he apprised Presidential Assistant to the Visayas Michael Diño about the controversy during President Duterte’s visit to Tacloban on Tuesday night.
Read more at https://www.philstar.com/nation/2018/10/04/1857001/richard-gomez-nha-i-want-best-my-constituents#U4Qt33GvdmQGuovR.99
ORMOC CITY—Actor and Ormoc City Mayor Richard Icasiano Gomez is seeking another term.
Gomez filed his Certificate of Candidacy (COC) for mayor along with his running mate, Vice Mayor Leo Carmelo Locsin Jr., and their entire ticket at the Commission on Elections (Comelec) office here on Thursday afternoon.
Gomez was accompanied by his wife, Leyte 4th District Rep. Lucy Torres-Gomez.
Gomez’s ticket dubbed as the “Ormoc Development Team” (ODT) went to the Ormoc Comelec office at about 2 p.m. of October 12, 2018 after attending Mass at the Saints Peter and Paul Parish here.
Gomez and his team were accompanied by a group supporters who carried placards and blue balloons while “Nosi Balasi” of Pinoy rockstar Sampaguita blared in the background.
If reelected, Gomez said the campaign against illegal drugs along with peace and order will remain his top priorities.
He also wanted to bring in big business to boost the economy of the city.
Meanwhile, Rep.Torres-Gomez said she has yet to decide when to file her COC at the Comelec office in Tacloban City, Leyte./muf
At a luncheon meeting at the Korean Embassy with Ambassador H.E. Han Dong-man, Congw. Lucy T. Gomez, with Ormoc Engineers Esteban Laurente, Engr. Raoul Cam, Engr. Fulton Manawatao, Engr Jose Tolo, City Admin Vince Emnas.
Also in the meeting were delegates from Koika, Kotra, Kexim, Hanjin, Posco e&c, Soosyng Engineering, K Water and Hyundai Corporate.
Discussed was the possibility of funding and building the proposed Ormoc City Lake Danao Water System Project.
This proposed water system will be able to supply clean and potable water to the whole of Ormoc City and will eliminate the use of deep well pumps, thus saving money for the city.